It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:10 am 

*Grandon puts his arms in the air and looks at Kalvos with surprise*

You are faster than you look. I'd heard that Grimney's outlaws were better than their knights... and there is not a loyal Grimnian in the land.

*He chuckles and clenches his teeth*

I don't make decisions on hiring. You'd have to petition Lord Thranmere himself. You wouldn't be allowed to carry a sword in his presence, you must give up all arms at the gate. He is not too fond of strangers though, you will be better off applying to Carados, Duke of Zoltar.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:56 am 

*Kalvos smiles*.

My loyalty and my sword are paid for by the highest bidder. Petition? I should very much like to speak to him.

*He looks back at Narvik and the three soldiers behind him*.

No bled shed.... A simple response to threat...

*Kalvos returns his gaze to Grandon*.

Thranmere is afraid of warriors with swords? That I doubt.... As for Lord Carados... I was with him at Holmes' Tavern he knows that I was coming here....

*He lowers his sword*.

Carados and I are on first name terms... He'd not be impressed if you sent me all the way back to the mire...

*He looks across at Narvik once again*.

My name is Venn.... And I very much belong here in the Valley of the Warlords.....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:07 am 

Another mercenary... well well. Seems that loyalty can be bought in this place.

*He shrugs and looks at Narvik*

Maybe he should state his case to Lord Thranmere and his lady? After all, the princess would be keen to hear from her father.

*Captain Busby glowers*

Thranmere fears nothing but you will have to surrender your sword if you go before him as a sign of trust. You'll get it back if he likes you. He is a man of great honour, he wouldn't slaughter an unarmed foe.

*He looks Kalvos up and down*

But make no mistake pretty boy, friend of Carados or not... if you make eyes at his wife, Lord Thranmere will gouge them out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:11 am 

*Narvik waves his hand and directs the other three soldiers away*.

Yes.... But he looks tired, maybe he should rest first, to regain his strength.

*He observes a blood smear on the warrior's tunic*.

Been involved in the fighting have you Venn? Your blood or the enemies?

*He smiles at Grandon*.

I think Lord Thranmere could handle this warrior with or without or sword... We need not take it...

*Narvik looks at the new arrival closely*.

Tell us that is so... And you may go freely into the barracks...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:18 am 

*Kalvos looks at Grandon and then across at Narvik*.

I'm happy to give up my sword, I would not wish to be perceived as threat to the mighty Lord Thranmere. I would be grateful of his hospitality, and that of the Princess's.

*He offers his blade hilt first*.

I've been out on the battlefield a long time, parting with my sword offers a brief moment of freedom.

*Kalvos looks at Narvik sadly*.

Like you I have many scars, and like you I hide them well....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:00 am 

*He steps forward and takes the blade*

I'll take that...

*Grandon puffs up his chest*

Elite Guard has a higher level of responsibility for Lord Thranmere's wellbeing...

*He lights a cigar*

Still Narvik... you take credit for presenting this young warrior. If the man disappoints Lord Thranmere and his lady, I would rather it reflect on you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:37 am 

Yes Commander. You rank very high in my opinion.. Would not want your reputation tarnished...

*He salutes Grandon and looks at the blade the officer is examining*.

It's a fine looking sword Venn. What to you think Grandon? The blade of a mercenary?

*Narvik smiles beneath his mask*.

Or the sword of a knight? Whatever the case...

*He looks back at the young warrior.*

If you sell your skills you'll be well rewarded before you're killed...

*He taps the side of his mask*.

The Kanaran military made me the man I am today.... Or less of a man, most of us are missing an appendage or two.

*Chuckles and winks at Grandon*.

I heard that you are short a thing or two Grandon?

*Grins*.

Top of your thumb if I remember? Cutting off one of those cigar heads can be dangerous...

*Narvik looks over his shoulder and winks at Kalvos*.

Yes... I'll take you to the barracks and stitch you up a bit... I'm good with a needle and thread... I've stitched more skin than material.

*He nods at Grandon*.

He's in safe hands as long as I've not been drinking.... Otherwise he'll get a zig zag pattern.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 pm 

Good lad Narvik. I'd have you in the Elite Guard with me but you're your own worst enemy. To get ahead in life you need a sharp sword not a sharp tongue. Especially when you direct that sharp tongue at Lord Thranmere.

*He eyes Kalvos*

You need to understand your place here mercenary. At the top we have the Elite Guards, then we have men like Narvik... middle ranking knights, then the ordinary foot soldiers and at the bottom are you mercenaries. You're better paid than the foot soldiers though. Oh... and there is Princess Philomena's bodyguard, Vortigern Jett.

*He rolls his eyes*

He reports only to the Princess and is untouchable, even by Darl Thranmere it seems. You won't see him much though, he is with the Princess more than her own shadow. I think he cheats at cards anyway so I'd steer clear if I were you.

*Grandon spits on the floor*

Narvik... I leave you to your new friend, but remember his conduct will reflect on you. A fancy sword and a pretty face does not make a warrior.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:31 am 

Thanks for the insight, I'll find my place....

*Kalvos watches as Grandon walks away*.

Vortigern.... Always walking in shadows... Always cheating....

*He looks at Narvik and stares at the soldier's grubby fingers*.

It's good to be without my sword.... I feel a weight has been lifted.... So... You're a knight are you? I heard the Kanaran knights wore rings to show their loyalty.... You seem to be missing yours....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:47 am 

*Narvik half smiles*.

Not missing, you can wear it where you like, I keep mine attached to my boot, I like to think it's gathering filth when I clean out the stables.

*He steps forward and pulls out a knife and points the blade at the new recruit*.

Standard issue...

*He offers the hilt*.

You'll need it in the barracks they're a rough lot... And as Grandon said you need more than a sharp wit especially when slicing through bread and butter...That's our staple diet, that and the rum we pour down our necks...

*Narvik slides the dagger into the warrior's belt and puts his hand on the young man's shoulder*.

You'd better come with me friend. You'll find yourself quite at home here, the last tenant enjoyed the accommodation for many decades before Thranmere killed him....

*Narvik and Venn walk behind Grandon towards the castle*.