It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 5:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:54 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Posts: 5574
Location: Lost in Grimney
Don1 wrote:
Lovely sentiment Meadow. A cool reminder. x
8-)


Thank you Don1.

_________________
http://barbarafromplanetzorg.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Posts: 5574
Location: Lost in Grimney
Present

The present looked exciting
Yes ever so inviting
It sat beneath the tree
With love it said, to me!

Wrapped in crinkly bows
And Santas in the snow
I picked it up, I pressed and squeezed
Then back it went beneath the tree

For weeks and weeks I tried to guess
The contents of that treasure chest
I willed my dog to make a tare
So I could take a peep in there

But she just sighed and licked her feet
‘Cos it didn’t smell of bones or treats
So finally surrender came
I had to play the waiting game

On Christmas day the gift was placed
Into my lap, did my heart race!
I pulled the bows and sellotape
And tore the Santas out of shape

When I finally got to see
What had plagued my curiosity
I forced a smile and tried to hide
The disappointment felt inside

The hints I dropped were very clear
But must have fallen on deaf ears
No Kindle did I find in there
Instead a dryer for my hair

_________________
http://barbarafromplanetzorg.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36 am
Posts: 169
Nice one, Meadow! :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36 am
Posts: 169
I know I've posted this poem before so please feel free to exclude it from the competition. It's just the right time of year to post it again, in my very humble opinion! ;)

In the land of tales tall,
There sat an egg upon a wall,
The local people called him Humpty,
If truth be told, he was a numpty.

All day upon his wall he sat,
Laughing lots and getting fat.
People walking past would mutter,
“He’d be nice with bread and butter...”

On Christmas Eve disaster struck:
The wheels fell off the Tesco truck.
The Christmas plans turned upside down,
The King sat on his throne with frown.

“Without my Royal Roasted Turkey,
The Yuletide feast is looking quirky.
Listen, I have a cunning plan -
I want to eat this eggy man!

All I need’s a little joke,
Then I will have his mighty yolk!
Bring me the royal man of jest,
For we must have his very best!”

The jester toiled all through the night
Trying to make the joke just right
To make poor Humpty Dumpty fall
Down from his perch upon the wall.

The sun come up, the rooster crowed,
The jester set off down the road.
“Good morrow, sir!” the jester cried
“Good day!” the giant egg replied.

“Yuletide greetings from the King
And every man and horse I bring!”
“Why thank you!” Humpty Dumpty beamed
Not knowing things weren’t as they seemed.

“We’d like to share some jokes with you!”
“Brilliant! Oh yes! Please do!”
Trying to hide his sneaky smirk
The jester got straight down to work.

[Why did the chicken cross the road? To get...]
The first attempt made Humpty grin
But no laugh came from within.


[What did the Spanish farmer say to his hens? Oh lay!]
The second joke produced a chuckle
But Humpty bumpty did not buckle.


[Why don't French people eat two eggs for breakfast? Because one egg is un oeuf!]
The next one made him laugh a bit
But on the wall he still did sit.


“Oh dearl Oh dear!” the jester thought
“That’s almost all the jokes I brought.”
“If I don’t make this egg fall down,
The king will kick me out of town!”

“Is that it?” Humpty D enquired
“Of your poor jokes, I’m rather tired!”
The jester had just one more crack
To get it right or get the sack.

He heard a voice inside his head
“What on earth you doing Fred?
Trying to amuse an egg?
Just get up there and pull his leg!”

With lightning speed he leapt up high
And in the blinking of an eye,
He grabbed poor Humpty by the toe
And tugged him to the ground below.

As Humpty fell he heard the sound
Of soldiers footsteps on the ground.
Fast towards the wall they ran
And caught him in a frying pan.

He landed in it with crack!
The soldiers they did hurry back
Towards the palace, with no regret
To make a giant om-e-lette.

The King, his men and all his horses,
Ate Humpty in two dozen courses.
And as the party fizzled out,
Above the din they heard a shout.

“Excuse me, if I may intrude,
I’m looking for some ‘Humpty’ dude.
It says he lives out on that wall
But I can’t find him there at all!”

“Humpty? Yes I remember him
Lovely chap but rather dim!
I think you need to talk to Jester,
Because it’s time for my siesta.”

“Can you give it to the fella?
It says ‘ere he’s got salmonella!
Well anyway, I’ve got to go,
I can’t stand here all day you know!”

And off he went to do his round
The King’s jaw dropped right to the ground.
But no-one died there that December,
Coz this is la-Ia land, remember?

Instead, the kingdom rang with laughter
And all lived happ’ly ever after.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:43 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:54 pm
Posts: 7361
Location: Looking pretty behind the bar at Holme's Tavern
No reason we should exclude it, not against the rules to repost. :)

Philomena, Mermaid of Dudrassa and Judge of Yuletide Verse

_________________
http://themermaidmuse.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:47 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am
Posts: 5574
Location: Lost in Grimney
This is my favourite poem of yours Hoggy :)

_________________
http://barbarafromplanetzorg.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36 am
Posts: 169
(Not one for the kids!)

Whilst sitting with my little girl,
Taking in a DVD
A slightly darkish thought jumped out
And had its wicked way with me.

A reindeer was the central theme,
One of Santa's magic team.
It wasn't Rudolph, Vixen, Cupid
Or Dasher. Oh no! This somewhat stupid
Thought of mine, was of another
Flying, furry, antlered brother.
Donner is the subject of this ballad,
Along with chilli sauce and salad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:05 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:54 pm
Posts: 7361
Location: Looking pretty behind the bar at Holme's Tavern
So that's what happens when they get too old to fly... :(

_________________
http://themermaidmuse.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36 am
Posts: 169
I don't think I'll be getting a present from Santa after that... :twisted:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuletide poetry
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:38 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:54 pm
Posts: 7361
Location: Looking pretty behind the bar at Holme's Tavern
Yes, you'll be on Santa's list of naughty ogres!

_________________
http://themermaidmuse.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group