It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18882 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 1889  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:12 pm 

Although I tend bar and maintain a clean privy. Today I won't talk to you in the old way, as many fail to understand the tongue of the elders, and thus think me mad and old fashioned. Long times have past and many a patron has come and gone. My pa, Hengis Holme (many still spell our name with an S and it is common that most fail to know where the apostrophe should be, little matter mind) But tis by the by, and a consequence of little note.

I am aware of the many voices carried upon the smoky air of pipe weed and such like, and often wonder of the backgrounds of each customer I serve, how be they at Holme's Tavern? What are their stories? What of their lives in Grimney? Their origins?

I myself was born in Carlina at the northern border of the Dudrassa Sea. Carlina was a small fishing village and is not on any map, as many small villages fade quickly when its citizens grow richer and its nomadic people have moved on. Pa and ma, and my younger brother Thadgin (May he be safe in the arms of the Grimnian Gods) built the Tavern brick by brick, it was a grand construction, until it sank into the mire and fell down. Pa concluded that we should build the next tavern beside the mire and not in it, he was indeed a clever man. I've known many a famous name, (Although I hate to sound boastful, but I do smile when I think of them) Draygon The Scar, Tobias Tave (What a drinker), Calaman Kade (What a bighead), Vance Scarab (What a painter) And the many others like Max Drexler, Joanna Simm, Gradlan Grime, Fenris Gob, Hellcat Meridian, Granyon Yure, Eliza Jade, Cass Crellwin all have drunk and got drunk at the bar, but times change and some are dead, and the remainder are off questing somewhere. Still, others have stepped through the big oak door, and have that same air of greatness about them. And as I watch them drinking, laughing, talking and eating, I realize that change is good, but much like any barkeeper, I would like to know more about his patrons. So if you have the time do stop a while, pull up a stool and tell me more about yourselves. Your Grimney origins, I know that some of you are using false names, and have the law nipping at your heels, but 'Curiousity has its own reward' My pa used to say that, I never understood its meaning. Take care all, and may the Zoriat Gods be with you always.

Attachments:
HOLME'S TAVERN AT NIGHT.jpg
HOLME'S TAVERN AT NIGHT.jpg [ 94.16 KiB | Viewed 14100 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:54 am 
Site Admin

I usually maintain a quiet disposition, where other men in public houses are concerned, barkeep. And this time is no exception. I'll converse occasionally with fellows but only regarding the fairer sex and (important) matters of sport. I shall, of course, pop in from time to time and regale with ye. But know this. I am schooled in many things, not least the weilding of a falchion and the soundings of the stringed and wind instruments, and will take unkindly to ill placed jibery. That said, I shall see you again soon. As of now, there is an affair of the heart to attend to.
;)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:13 am 

I am not much like Don1, the only thing I wield is a cleaver. A talent for music, that's to be admired. I used to play the piano, but I'm short two fingers, so can't play that good any more. My history in Grimney is not very fascinating. We've chatted before Urat, and fought together! I'm from Toraz, I run a butchers shop there, I did serve in the military when I was young, nothing special just an ordinary soldier, fought in several battles. Other than that I'm just happy keeping to myself, smoking pipe weed, arm wrestling, (as you know I'm unbeaten at the tavern) and hearing poems and stories from the more sociable regulars.

Last edited by JacobVask on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:05 am 

When I was 7, a relative sold me to a demon. I was in his service for 14 years. He was a bully and a tyrant. He taught me many things, but everything was designed to corrupt me further.

My master was secretive. He only revealed himself to people through the actions of his slaves. Although, he was always in the shadows.

When I was studying Cybercraft, two other students told me of their master. He was a king who spent all he had freeing slaves and making them citizens of his kingdom. Now, by this time, life with my old master had brought me to the edge of madness, and I was very afraid of him.

The king, however, was kind. He touched the marks of my slavery, and they were gone. He reached into me and touched my heart. The parts that had been corrupted by the demon withered and died. Then he reached into his own chest, took a piece of his own heart, and placed it in me.

Much has happened since then. The heavy robes I wore under my old master fell off, and the king gave me fine linen to wear. The corruption of my mind was gradually healed, and I was able to see everything clearly.

I have become aware of my own smallness in the presence of such a wonderful king. I no longer trust my intelligence, knowledge, wisdom or strength. However, the king has provided me with an instructor who gives me the resources of the king himself (when the instructor deems it appropriate).

Now I am free from all my burdens, the king provides me with everything I need. I have learned to love everyone, without exception, even those that don't like me. I have learned to let go of hurts and offences, and to forgive easily. I have learned to have a soft heart for people in need. I have learned not to judge or condemn anyone. I have learned that everyone has their story, and I can learn from every one. Most of all, I have learned to be happy being me, and to laugh at myself when I do silly things.

http://www.waycyber.com

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:48 am 
Greetings, Urat!

It's not often that I speak of my past but a flagon or six of Grimney's finest is normally the catalyst on such rare occasions. That said, I have also found (much to my displeasure) that inhaling the flatus of the Yabnab can also trigger a bout of reminiscence. ONCE was enough! Although the gas itself is tasteless, it forces the brain into creating the most pungent and putrid flavour it can imagine. Having a mind like Bertie Ballstrong's loin cloth was somewhat of disadvantage in that particular situation...

Please forgive me. I may have to stop and rest for a while. The memory of that day still haunts me and if I think about it for too long, I can become paralysed and lose up to three days and three nights, none of which I will remember at all. You see, this is one of the reasons I rarely discuss the past. Perhaps I shall return to share more, once my mind has once again reached a state of equilibrium...or indeed as close as it ever has been.

May the Magic Book guide you always.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:45 pm 

Hello all, I’m Jeremiah Crockle. I’ve not been having a good day at all, oh dear, no... My beloved garden has become overrun with grindals, and the pesky things have eaten all my gramati fruit! I’ve tried everything to get rid of the creatures, but nothing works. I wish someone could help me as Mrs Crockle is at the end of her tether. Good to see that people are taking the time to talk to you Urat. As you know I’m a retired fletcher, but now I just tend my garden, I’m generally happy, but today has not been a good day. The only small consolation is the grindal droppings scattered all over my garden. Its a great source of nourishment for my vegetables, and I’ve been going around collecting it in a bucket, it’s been such a lark! :roll:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

Urat Holme,

It is indeed true that you maintain a gleaming privy. Perhaps this accounts for the surprisingly large number of female clientle that frequent your establishment. That and the surprisingly strong spirits that you serve.
I find myself pleasantly fortified after just one glass of your finest and have seen to my great amusement the effects of taking more than one glass, on both women and men alike. Although the women do tend more towards violence than the men.
Hmmm.

I have been coming to your tavern for just long enough now to feel comfortable here, although it must be said that you entertain a wide variety of beings wielding a wide variety of appearences and attitudes, some of which are disturbing, even to me.

It is obvious that I am a human, mostly; but it would be rash to consider that is all I am. I was tenured upon my arrival in Grimney to a powerful sourcerer as his Gathering Girl. He moved to Farfell 2 years ago and brought me with him. I was a quick learner and soon discovered that he found my form to his liking. Last year he made me Fyrsta Apprentice Sorcerer. Imagine! I am still shocked by his disappearence this past winter, but I'm doing my best to maintain his dwelling and fulfil his obligations to the community. I really am quite good at what I do. And there's The Coven of course.
Which reminds me.
Could you do a favour for me kind Urat?
Suddenly I find I have a household vacancy after an unexpected....loss. Do keep your ears open for me won't you? I like to think that I'm a fair and kind mistress. Mostly. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:57 pm 

Good that all of you have talked, and told me your tales. Nights can be long when tending bar and I've enjoyed learning a little about you all. I hope to hear more from you and others. Lots of faces I see, lots of lives to be shared.

Hmmm, grindals, try burning the leaves of the yangtang tree Jeremiah, the smell normally drives them away.

Elvira, yes indeed, I am most proud, because the Holme's Tavern privy has won awards you know! 'Privy of the Year' four times running, not bad, not bad at all. :D

Elvira, oh my yes, I am aware of the dangerous individuals who drink in our tavern, Tanza seems a bit unpredictable, as she chewed through a table leg the other night. I would not ban her, I'm rather fond. There are some customers I truly dislike, but I take care when speaking of them, because they might over hear, and I know they are very dangerous. Although happy to answer any questions privately, if there is someone or something you'd like to know about....

Farfell. I know that place, it's where the monastery is, I deliver ale and wine to them, the monks are always drunk and spend much of the time gambling and fighting!

In regards to the other concern, well, yes I can keep my ear open, and listen, but I fear that your Gathering Boy may have indeed met with foul play, I was told this night by Darius Kane that the poor boy had gone missing. Uther's Woad is not a wise place to travel through day or night. I shall see what I can discover as to his whereabouts. If I can send someone your way with insight, I surely shall, but alas I fear a tale of woe.

Don1 I'm surprised that you fight with such a weapon, so far with great success, if your unblemished face is anything to go by. Yes, I know you like the ladies and they clearly like you so I have heard from Clara and Willow.

Ah Legostan... Is old Bertie still bathing in the mire? That man really is not all there, but each to their own. As for the smell of the Yabnab, I thank my gods that I have not smelt it, it can surely be no worse than the mire. Your friend Bilgy was looking for you earlier.

Waycyber, I found your life history interesting too, a demon you say? Glad your tale had a happy ending. It is good to learn so much about those I serve, and you all deserve a free slice of radigan pie and more ale on the house.

Jacob, more than chatted old friend! You and I go way back, and I remember fighting alongside you in many a skirmish, I know you lost one finger in battle, I'm sorry to hear you lost another!

Cheers all.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:11 pm 

The demon was called Zarko, and was not as powerful as he pretended to be. His power was in his voice, and he could plant images in the minds of his victims. He and his kind, the Sibrwd Rhai, promise great power but, instead, drive their victims to madness.

Another of his kind preyed upon a neighbour of mine as she read her tarot cards. Her marriage was wrecked and she is nowhere to be found.

They are bullies and tyrants more than anything else. One trick they have, needing no sleep themselves, is to continue their talk into the late watches of the night, tiring out their victims and draining them of the power to resist.

However, since the king rescued me, Zarko has no power over me. He tried to come back, but I sent him away. All that happened was I felt a little ill. The King's Instructor has taught me much since then, and give me power when I need it to bring peace, healing, and freedom wherever it is needed.

http://www.waycyber.com

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

UratHolme wrote:
In regards to the other concern, well, yes I can keep my ear open, and listen, but I fear that your Gathering Boy may have indeed met with foul play, I was told this night by Darius Kane that the poor boy had gone missing. Uther's Woad is not a wise place to travel through day or night. I shall see what I can discover as to his whereabouts. If I can send someone your way with insight, I surely shall, but alas I fear a tale of woe.

My thanks kind Urat,
I have now come across confusing information that I am currently investigation with regards to my Boy. Do set aside a glass of the Amber for me this evening, it's going to be an unpleasant night for someone :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18882 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 1889  Next