It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:59 pm 

Nydas,
That made me laugh. I'v a Virgo... not that I put a LOT of stock in astrology...but I AM organized within an inch of my life. In fact, a professional organizer by trade. Coined the word Clutteranalyst.

Am old enough to have seen thousands of films, and a true lover of classics. I love to hear about one's I've missed, and steer people to catch something they may never have heard of.

How about you? Got any lost pearls for me?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Have listed a few already but your post got me thinking again and I remember a great film that I loved called 'The Wizard of Speed and Time' which was a wonder of special effects and kind of anti-Hollywood. I looked for it on the interweb a few years ago and nothing BUT have just done another search and it is all over the place!
Thanks for prompting me, I should be able to get another copy now!
Hurrah!!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Just read all the replies, guess we're all quite different people.

Personally I like The Shawshank Redemption or anything with Morgan Freeman. Into murder thrillers, war and alien types.

Especially like films based on true stories, always better written although sometimes seem the most unbelievable.

Theres my morbid side coming out again.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with Debistaron got to love the classics Phillidelphia Story being a particular favourite. Also love Truly Madly Deeply, no one can cry quite as well as Juliet Stevenson, and Alan Rickman could possibly turn me straight again!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:46 am 

It seems strange that so many popular films involve violence and destruction. These things excite, no doubt, but they glorify destruction.

The films that exemplify courage, love and sacrifice are not as popular. Maybe it's because they stir the heart and don't fire the blood.

The former films are looked on as being for men, the latter for women.

I am not saying that I am any different. I enjoy action movies, which do have some violence, but mild, comic book stuff. I do not enjoy films involving suffering, dismemberment or torture.

It's difficult to name a top 5, but I will try. They are in no particular order.

Stalker
Lord of the Rings (yeah, 3 films, but 1 story)
Les Demoiselles de Rochefort
The Sting
The original Thomas Crown Affair

Near misses would be
The Italian Job
2001 Space Odyssey

The film I would love to make

The Happy Adventures of Sister Debbie, the Psycho Killer Zombie Nun and Her Mega-Chainsaw of Fun.

It would have clowns.

http://www.waycyber.com

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:59 am 
Site Admin

DebiStaron!
Harvey, All About Eve, Some like it Hot and so many others - I love it!!
If you do home visits for tidy and organised please let me know!!

To add:
Night of the Hunter - a wonderfully atmospheric film, Robert Mitchum the ultimate bad man, (shakes me in my boots)
The Hunger - David Bowie, Catherine Deneuve, Susan Sarandon - vampires, great music, what's not to like!
Thor - well who can resist giant blue ice giants?
Bound - Gina Gershon (the sexiest woman ever in this role), Jennifer Tilly, sexy, tense, great story, great ending. I want to be in this film. In fact, now I've remembered it I'll have to watch it again. :D
Guilty pleasures - Independence Day, Raising Arizona, Fargo, Pitch Black, Sense & Sensibility(1995).

Oh, and I know it's not a film but Game of Thrones is wickedly good!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Ahhhh Harvey. I recently watched that again with my offspring. We had a lovely time and they really understood the message. It's a very inspiring film and I think the very special message is lost on most people. Not me.

Everybody should believe in what they want, if it makes them happy. If they're not hurting anyone by nurturing their own silly or fantastic notions...who should object!!? Who knows...maybe these notions are, in fact, more real than people think. Logic isn't always the answer.

I love films that send a message without ramming it down your throat at every opportunity.

I guess that's why I love Harold and Maude so much. The message in that film is not just about a boy's feelings about his mother, but about two very different people coming together to make a whole. One is obsessed with life, while the other is obsessed with death. Black comedies eh? You just can't beat them...and I can never stop singing the songs from the soundtrack!

Arsenic and Old Lace is another great black comedy. Very charming.

Oh dear, did I just say 'charming'. Somebody cut my tongue out!!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:59 am 

Elvira,
I do indeed do home visits, help clients pack and move too. But I fear the commute from California might be a bit much.

;)

Debi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:25 pm 

Fight Club....Genius and even better that many never realised the piece of film they actually cut in the film.

Bagdad Cafe, picked it up randomly, as i do with books, it turned out to be strangly good, my measure as always and the same with books, i watched it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm 

Tanza wrote:
Ahhhh Harvey. I recently watched that again with my offspring. We had a lovely time and they really understood the message. It's a very inspiring film and I think the very special message is lost on most people. Not me.

Everybody should believe in what they want, if it makes them happy. If they're not hurting anyone by nurturing their own silly or fantastic notions...who should object!!? Who knows...maybe these notions are, in fact, more real than people think. Logic isn't always the answer.

I love films that send a message without ramming it down your throat at every opportunity.

I guess that's why I love Harold and Maude so much. The message in that film is not just about a boy's feelings about his mother, but about two very different people coming together to make a whole. One is obsessed with life, while the other is obsessed with death. Black comedies eh? You just can't beat them...and I can never stop singing the songs from the soundtrack!

Arsenic and Old Lace is another great black comedy. Very charming.

Oh dear, did I just say 'charming'. Somebody cut my tongue out!!

nice, the harvey thing bang on, now somebody behead me for complimenting you...have you seen any rabbits recently how about swans?

P.S. Black!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next