It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favourite Author
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Admin

confession.. me neither Philomena!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Oh, girls such joys await in Discworld. You are lucky not to have found him till now because you still have all that joy to come!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Nydas how nice to see you back ! You've been missed x

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Gwenllian, I haven't been far just furiously busy as always. Nice to have the time to sit down and catch up! Not complaining mind, I like being busy. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 am 

Have you read John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things? It is a must!
The Gates and Hell's Bells are fab too. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:06 pm 

Quote:
Don1: Neil Gaiman

I know people say it's not one of his best, but Mr. Punch was deliciously dark. I love that one.

Re: Terry Pratchett - undeniably both an outstanding author and an outstanding human being.

Quote:
Baggage: No, I was a latecomer. Went through a little Pratchett phase when I realized that was all I would enjoy reading from the local library.

I admit to my Pratchett phase starting at the tender age of ten when I took a copy to class reading time. I forget which one it was now, but the lady on the cover had very big knockers and I wanted to have a legitimate reason to disturb my teacher ;) I think she was more taken aback by the fact that I could actually read it out loud. Though I can't confess to having understood a lot of it. I was in my mid-teens before I re-visited, starting at the beginning with Light Fantastic.

What can one say? It was a love affair. Favourites? Probably anything with Death, of course - Soul Music. But also Equal Rites. As a young woman that meant a lot to me - that someone as renowned as Pratchett would tackle that issue. (For those who don't know - it's about a young girl becoming a Wizard, when you can only be a Wizard if you're male. Otherwise, you have to be a Witch - but she doesn't want to be a Witch, she wants to be a Wizard. Such a parody of life!)

I think Pratchett is one of those people you're glad to have shared the same slot in history with. Unique, intellectually brilliant and - most endearingly - very, very funny.

Quote:
UrbanRainmaker: There's a distinct difference between an author and the book its self

Couldn't agree more. I've always been the type of person who prefers books to authors, songs to musicians and paintings to artists. I know what I like when I read/hear/see it, but that doesn't always mean that I want to read/hear/see everything by the same person.

There are very few authors (Pratchett being one) that I go out of my way to 'follow', and my favourite books change on a weekly basis.

The one that I claim to love above all others, and will love 'til the day I die, is The Seduction of Silence by Bem Le Hunte. It's been a very long time since I've read it, but it was unforgettable - for me.

Others that I class as being above and beyond brilliance are Now & Then by the late William Corlett, The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman by Withnail and I's Bruce Robinson, Sister of my Heart by Chitra Divakaruni (better know for Mistress of Spices), and, as of yesterday, The Other Hand by Chris Cleave - hugely gifted writer.

Not perhaps my favourite book, but certainly an author who made me smile, was DBC Pierre after 1. reading Lights Out In Wonderland (that scene in Ikea is just...well, we've all been there, right?) and 2. watching his Meet the Author interview - I mean, with an introduction like that, who could resist? ;)

*End Waffle*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:21 am 
Site Admin

The elders Mizen and TheRaven replied here earlier; where are they now? I am again reading Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and The Sea. Simple story of an ageing fisherman facing his destiny. No complex scene setting, just Havana, the fisherman, a boy and the sea. Recommended.
8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:32 am 
Site Admin

I loved Jeffery Deavers The Blue Nowhere, but was paranoid every time I went on the computer for months !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:36 am 
Site Admin

Do you recommend? (raised eyebrow)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:38 am 
Site Admin

Oh yes , very much a page turner, with lots of twists and turns!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next