It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favourite Author
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:42 pm 

John Wyndham's Chocky unnerved me a bit. It had many similarities to my own experience. I never read the book, but I saw the TV series Chocky and Chocky's Children.

http://www.waycyber.com

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:12 pm 

Err... been a while since I read a "proper" book. Think it was Milan Kundera, a couple of months ago. Can only recommend 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being' because in the rest (The Joke etc) his animalistic view of the female psyche and the oh so philosophical male begin to grate.
Yep, Terry Pratchett, Phillip Pullman, Dickens, Kaffka, Dostoevsky, Tennessee Williams, M.R. James and many more, all brightened some horrible days and nights. At the moment tend to read stuff on Grimney and from Black Static magazine, so lots of new authors and mainly short stories. Reckon I like a bit of the fanastic, but it always goes back to the bleak horror. One name off top of my head is Nina Allan. Enjoyed 'A Thread of Truth, but the better stories were published in Black Static anyway. Conrad Williams is often raved about too. Enjoyed 'The Unbleamished', but it would have probably been written much better with half the word count.
Ooh check me out, reviewing and that! :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:21 pm 

There's a distinct difference between an author and the book its self, do you like the stor? or did you like the author conveyance of the story by the author? Which is motivating which?

I'm only on my sixth book since i've started urban surfing litrature (randomly july 2010 nothing before counts) so my test pool is small, a test of a good book/film or music if i return to it, time and time again and time has yet to pass to be honest and when they do those books i will consider good friends, only when you have read every idea and every concept then you can who is the best, for the time being Nassim Nicholas Taleb,the mans a legend. And to answer which catergory it fits, it doesn't the same as my own, its niether fact nor fiction, its that pocket of magic when these too forces colide, the imagination no longer the slave to the truth and the truth no longer shaping the imagination, a book contents comes to life in your world, the ability to thing of something and it manifests itself in your world. Which is shaping which? when fiction starts becoming reality and then the reality becomes fictional, care to step inside this coicidence? Your reading this arn't you? Now is that fact or is that Fiction? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:35 pm 

Baggage wrote:
Err... been a while since I read a "proper" book. Think it was Milan Kundera, a couple of months ago. Can only recommend 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being' because in the rest (The Joke etc) his animalistic view of the female psyche and the oh so philosophical male begin to grate.
Yep, Terry Pratchett, Phillip Pullman, Dickens, Kaffka, Dostoevsky, Tennessee Williams, M.R. James and many more, all brightened some horrible days and nights. At the moment tend to read stuff on Grimney and from Black Static magazine, so lots of new authors and mainly short stories. Reckon I like a bit of the fanastic, but it always goes back to the bleak horror. One name off top of my head is Nina Allan. Enjoyed 'A Thread of Truth, but the better stories were published in Black Static anyway. Conrad Williams is often raved about too. Enjoyed 'The Unbleamished', but it would have probably been written much better with half the word count.

Hey baggage, brilliant, i knew i'd surfed to the right place, the thing i'm involved with holds a big clue on Kundera, part of this code Nassim Taleb has left in his book the black swan (see previous posts) i need some knowledge dude, cannot and will not read the joke (part of my surfing criteiria, and this was promoted to me by Taleb kundera is the only person 'not' listed in his index) so the thing is its not about the bit you've done, its got a meta commentry int it, thats what i need to understand more, can you try to explain a little more on where it would fit with the black swan/message/code he's communicated inside the book, by the way i'm aware black swan film has also got meta commentry (no connection with taleb but there is with the Director and Kundera)

Whilst i'm here, i'm trying to remember a film where i think kundera acted a roll (or somebody who looks like), guy goes of to meet his favorite author and does and they get into a cab, which they do a runner from and then he ends up back at his flat, they have a drink he falls asleep wakes up to find the guy has died in his sleep, like the chances!! Thats all i got in my memory and it could be really imporrtant if it was a kundera film...Thanks people of grimly (oh i've got this weird dyslexia going on, when i write, view it as you will ;) ahah and i'm a Author!! What are the chances...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:56 pm 

You don't ask light questions do you? :o
Weeellll after reading wikipedia (I know) and hawling my brain into action a little.... my understanding of the Black Swan concept is it highlights the limitations of human "knowledge" in predicting/explaining "Black Swan Events" because their very nature implies they were previously unheard of and extreme (past experience does not apply, generalization as used even with deductive reasoning is limited i.e. all swans we documented are white therefore until further notice, all swans are white" and the problem of explanation when there does indeed exist a black swan). With hindsight, people tend to over-simplify explanations of the event e.g. he mentions WWI?
So, applying this observation to The Joke, hmm?
Kundera describes an unfortunate event, where he made a joke about the communist party in a postcard to his girlfriend. This was interceded by the "authorities" at her university and he was accused of individualism, being bougeois by the communist party etc and his life, in his eyes was ruined. He was put before a board and they voted against him, removing him as an accademic and placing him in a menial job at a work camp. This Event alone could be seen as the Black Swan. But there were many more to follow...
He met and unwittingly, nearly raped a woman he got to know at the work camp and later, plotting against the man he thought responsible for his own demise before the board, made that man's life easier by taking his estranged wife off his hands and leaving him free to pursue an affair elsewhere, with a younger woman. The woman he unwittingly raped as a youth ended up with a religious friend of his, in the village he used to live in (unconnected so far as the camp was in a different city) and ironically, was the only woman he had ever been in love with (granted obsessively) and another friend had to accept that times had changed and his son would not glory in the old folklore like he did as a child, and didn't want to take the lead roll in the parade at his Maravian hometown.
Kundera does silently challenge the reader to have been able to predict each of the events (from the initial insecurity that the protagonist had about his relationship that led him to make the joke in the post card, to the attempted suicide and failure of the married woman he has an affair with and rejects in later life (the woman believes she is over-dosing on her employees pain-killers, but they are laxatives).
There IS a loose connection between all these events, but could the reader predict definitely what might happen?
I was proud of myself for predicting most of these events, however, I have had some unfortunate experiences and sods law often applies, which in itself could not be predicted. Kundera would not know that I would one day read his book and guess the twists from my own past experience. So, I expect Kundera is saying, life itself is a series of Black Swan events and the individual players are often blamed for their misdeeds/mistakes, when they had very little information on their side to predict or prevent such occurences.
There is definitely a meta-commentary, but I wouldn't really call it a code.
Sorry, don't think I've seen that film, but would probably enjoy it! Sounds a bit Lynchean.
Few, I'm off to play some mind-numbing computer games...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:38 pm 

UrbanRainmaker wrote:
Baggage wrote:

Hey baggage, brilliant, i knew i'd surfed to the right place, the thing i'm involved with holds a big clue on Kundera, part of this code Nassim Taleb has left in his book the black swan (see previous posts) i need some knowledge dude, cannot and will not read the joke (part of my surfing criteiria, and this was promoted to me by Taleb kundera is the only person 'not' listed in his index) so the thing is its not about the bit you've done, its got a meta commentry int it, thats what i need to understand more, can you try to explain a little more on where it would fit with the black swan/message/code he's communicated inside the book, by the way i'm aware black swan film has also got meta commentry (no connection with taleb but there is with the Director and Kundera)

Whilst i'm here, i'm trying to remember a film where i think kundera acted a roll (or somebody who looks like), guy goes of to meet his favorite author and does and they get into a cab, which they do a runner from and then he ends up back at his flat, they have a drink he falls asleep wakes up to find the guy has died in his sleep, like the chances!! Thats all i got in my memory and it could be really imporrtant if it was a kundera film...Thanks people of grimly (oh i've got this weird dyslexia going on, when i write, view it as you will ;) ahah and i'm a Author!! What are the chances...

so do want to review my book and have it published? at no cost t you, just your time to right somerthing like you just did

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:52 pm 

Sure, I'll do a read and review :P sounds fun. Don't know if I'll understand the code though. Just message me with the details.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:49 pm 

Baggage wrote:
Sure, I'll do a read and review :P sounds fun. Don't know if I'll understand the code though. Just message me with the details.

will do,wheres good in pDF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Will everyone be horrified if I confess that I've never read Terry Pratchett? :o

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:40 pm 

No, I was a latecomer. Went through a little Pratchett phase when I realized that was all I would enjoy reading from the local library. I'd read Reaper Man as a teenager and just went from there. They're an easy read and you tend to fly through them, plus they're quite funny :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next