It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Favourite Author
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:21 am 
Site Admin

I like Neil Gaiman. Coraline is disturbingly interesting and his graveyard book is unputdownable.

8-)

Post subject: Re: Favourite Author
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:07 am 

Being quite morbid Don1 I might check that out, liking your poems by the way. I've been reading the Twilight books but looking for something new. My favourite book is Treasure Island, it's not really for girls, but my dad read it to me when I was little and I really loved it. Long John Silver is the definitive bad ass pirate, and he makes Jack Sparrow look like a right girl's blouse, which is exactly what he is.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:58 am 

Don1 wrote:
I like Neil Gaiman. Coraline is disturbingly interesting and his graveyard book is unputdownable.

8-)

I've read Coraline it's a really awesome read. Agree with you there Don1 dude. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:50 am 
Site Admin

John Irving - far and away the best author for me. Love his complicated but always coherent plot lines and the way he observes peoples behaviour is just so right.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

For me it has to be James Patterson and J.R.R. Tolken.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:49 am 

Favourite now? Non-fiction would be Andrew Murray, fiction would be either Terry Pratchett or Michael Chrichton.

When I was much, much younger I enjoyed Michael Moorcock and H P Lovecraft.

http://www.waycyber.com

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:40 am 
Site Admin

I have to agree with Waycyber,
Sir Terry Pratchett is definitely top of my favourite author tree. He is consistently brilliant. Others will come and go, he remains.

Of the others, my favourite book of the moment is by a chap called John Niven called The Second Coming. I laughed, I cried, I shouted. I couldn't put it down.
To steal words from another reviewer:
'Deeply, intelligently satirical. In lesser hands it could easily have become a crass rant. Yet Niven provides hilarious, perceptive entertainment, not at the expense of religion, but at the expense of bigoted, fundamental zealots whether they be Christians, Muslims or whatever... Amazingly, and despite the hipster stance and the brilliantly foul language, THE SECOND COMING is surprisingly on message. Only the truly ignorant will take offence. But then they usually do.'
Be Nice. I can live like that. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Terry Pratchett. Yes. I have his books and a few films. Discworld is amazing. I remember playing the games on my antique pc. Wonderful stuff. What a great decision to cast David Jason as Rinsewind in the adaptations...and the walking trunk...love it. Also love the length of the movies. You can really indulge yourself in them. Tim Curry...what can I say? Ultimate baddie.

I have to say, I do like Dickens and The Brontes. I also like Steinbeck, The Brontes and Lee Harper (To Kill a Mockingbird is just amazing). D H Lawrence...woohoo!

I've collected a lot of extremely old Shakespeare books...complete works and separate volumes. He interests me a lot. I possess a very old children's reading book that was, apparently, supposed to have been written in a simpler story form so younger people can understand Shakespeare's plays. I'm not kidding when I say...the language used is still far more intricate and complicated than any books children of today are expected to be able to handle. Something has definitely slipped where education is concerned. If I gave this book to a child of today and asked them to start reading they would think I was joking!

I actually love Frank Muir too. I really missed him when he died. Spike Milligan and Willie Rushton are sadly missed too. Definitely three of my favourites, if we're talking comedy.

I have a rather mixed bag of favourites I've read in the past and I wish I could name them all, but I think it would end up boring us all to death. I'm not so keen nowadays though. Time is really not on my side and I seem to find many other things to be doing. That's why Grimney is so good for me. Always something new, different and fresh to be reading. Spare moments grow into minutes and, before I know it, I've spent a good deal of quality time doing what I like best...being nosey!!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:47 am 

I am currently reading an old horror story by John Wyndham, called The Day of the Triffids. A very unusual and enjoyable read!

My all time favourite author, though, would have to be The Great Charles Dickens himself!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hey...I remember the TV adaptation first time round! Creepy as Hell maan. I have the DVD now of the whole thang! I was encouraged to see the latest film remake, but was also advised against it too...I couldn't decide, so just forgot about it and carried on living my life unbothered. Great book to lose yourself in...and, of course, Dickens rocks.